|“||'"Hold onto your butts…"'||„|
|~ Ray Arnold|
John Raymond "Ray" Arnold was the chief engineer of Jurassic Park in most part of the Jurassic Park Series. He appears in the novels, movies and games. He was killed by a Velociraptor in both the film and novel.
Story of his life Edit
Ray Arnold, full name possibly John Raymond Allen Arnold, is the chief engineer of Jurassic Park. His signature catchphrase was "Hold on to your butts," which he repeated twice in the film. Arnold was usually shown smoking a cigarette. In the first edition of the script, Hammond was greatly concerned for Arnold's health due to his constant chain smoking. He made frequent announcements over the loudspeaker informing the other employees on the position of the approaching storm. After Dennis Nedry turned the power off he told John Hammond that he couldn't get Jurassic Park back online without Nedry. Arnold showed great irritation with Nedry's personal touches to the park's system.
Sometime Sunday morning, Hammond told Arnold to shut down the entire system and restart it. Arnold was against this idea because they had never shut down the entire system before and he was not sure that it would come back on at all. Despite this, Hammond was adamant and Arnold eventually shut down the system. He was greatly relieved, along with the rest of the survivors in the control room, when the computers came back on. He set off on his own to the maintenance shed to re-boot Jurassic Park while the rest of the survivors went to the security bunker to await his return. He was ultimately killed by the Velociraptors' in the shed, though this was offscreen. Ellie Sattlerlater found his dismembered arm in the shed when she went to reboot the power.
After the incident in Jurassic Park, Arnold's family sued InGen in a $23 million lawsuit as a result of his death.
- Ray Arnold was supposed to have more screen time after he sets off to the maintenance shed, but due to the Hurricane Iniki and its destruction of the Jurassic Park sets, Samuel L. Jackson was unable to complete it.
- John Arnold was known by his middle name, Ray, so there was no confusion between John Arnold and John Hammond.
- The arm in the movie was bought by a collector who not surprisingly goes by his YouTube name JurassicCollectables· who also owns the leg that was originally meant to be used for the movie and has since videotaped the props for everyone to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4dQWWrTcVQ.
- Arnold's "hack" sequence in the movie can be relived in the browser game, "Jurassic Systems"
- Ray types on an IBM Model M 1391401 keyboard, a favorite for computer programmers for its distinctive audible keystroke.
- In the comic adaptation of the film, Arnold's fate was not shown.